Saturday 14 November 2015

Films of 2015 - Honourable Mentions

Below are a handful of Four-Star films that I really enjoyed but didn't blow me away to squeeze into my list. 

The Martian

One of the more regrettable entries simply because it was a fun ride that could have easily been downbeat. Matt Damon exudes a sense of humour alongside the need to survive on Mars after being stranded. The end was a bit generic which is a shame compared to the rest of the ride.

John Wick

Keanu is back...maybe.
One of the surprises of the year was a film about a hitman who goes on a killing spree after his dog is killed. The action choreography is worth a watch alone. A sequel has already been greenlit.

Danny Collins

Honest to God, the best Al Pacino film since Heat. An aging, over the hill crooner is given a chance to find his creativity again when he is given a well overdue letter from John Lennon. I recognise it's a bit light, maybe too light in subject matter but the charm and against type character that Pacino delivers was a refreshing change.

Mad Max: Fury Road

The one I expect to be called a gobshite for. As I've mentioned earlier, this post is for really good films that didn't make the list so I did view this as a solid entertaining film. I just didn't see a life changing one that others did. Kinda just felt like Waterworld with cars. Not that there's anything wrong with Waterworld (yes it's good) but there was 10 better films this year than this. In my humbled opinion. I've seen it twice as well but not going to be drawn by the more universal choice.

Antman

Antman benefited, like Iron Man with a blank canvas and the ability to tell its own story without worrying too much about the Marvel Cinematic Universe and its plot strands. Any cameos or in jokes were merely a bonus. We will never know how the Edgar Wright version would of turned out but I found it very amusing, inventive and peppered with heart. Avengers : Age of Ultron was good but this trumps it as the Marvel film of 2015.

Next week...
my films of the year - No.10 - No.4


1 comment: