Tuesday 18 December 2018

Films of 2018 - Part One

Here we go!



10. Molly’s Game

The directorial debut of Aaron Sorkin. For me, I’ve been a fan of Aaron’s since West Wing and Studio 60 on the sunset strip but his cinematic writing has graced my list in the past with Moneyball and The Social Network. Whilst Molly’s Game is not equal to those earlier works, it’s a fascinating true story concerning Molly Bloom, an ex professional ski jumper who found herself running one of the most famous poker tables you’ve probably never heard of, let alone be invited to. Jessica Chastain plays Molly brilliantly while Idris Elba is able to utter Sorkinese as well as the rest of them. It’s place on the list is somewhat intensified by my love of all things Sorkin but take that away and it is still a great watch with no poker experience required.


9. A Star is Born

On paper it shouldn’t have appealed to me. A musical vanity project by Bradley Cooper whose work is admittedly hit and miss starring part time actor, full time screecher Lady Gaga. 

However.

It works so well. It works that the ‘star’ is stripped back and vulnerable as Lady Gaga should be taking on this challenge. It works that Cooper plays her mentor with his own demons to banish and it works when they sing together. 

For me, the third act isn’t as smooth as the rest of the film which is why it’s not higher but it’s a small grumble that doesn’t stop it from being a 4* film that should win over anyone who has preconceptions about Gaga or the film in general.


8. Black Panther

What else can be said of this film that has not yet been said? The second biggest film of the year worldwide but more astonishing is that it will end the year as the biggest film in the US having made $22 million more than it’s big brother, Avengers Infinity War. Black Panther’s contribution to modern culture and the landscape of blockbusters is perhaps too early to predict but it seems to have hit a chord with young Americans that may feel underwhelmed by the diversity of Hollywood casting and story development. 

This was an intelligent, finger on the pulse action movie with things to say. It was about family, sacrifice and stepping up regardless of how ready you are.


7. Ready Player One

Did Adam just pick a shit film in his list? Maybe you thought so but I thought this was a tremendous throwback to Spielbergian blockbusters of the past which is handy as Spielberg directed it. 

Seen as one of the best Dystopian books of the last ten years, weirdly the author peppered the book with dozens of Spielberg references which made it hard for ‘the beard’ to adapt as taking too many out would change the feel of the story dramatically. 

This is in my list massively influenced by my love of the book but also how it managed to adapt it successfully. Above all else, the film is pure fun and enjoyment. Is there any twists or deep character development, not really. It’s just a great time. The Easter eggs to be found are purely endless. There’s a 20 min You Tube video listing them all so when you spot them yourself, it’s as satisfying as getting an answer right on University Challenge. I’ve seen it three times now and I’ve enjoyed myself every time.


6. The Old Man and the Gun

Directed by David Lowery (his last film, A Ghost Story was my film of 2017) this has been promoted and sold as supposedly Robert Redford’s final acting performance. It’s rare that an actor a) retires and b) signals their final performance so only time will tell if it turns out to be true. Speaking of true, this tale is far fetched but again supposedly based on real events. Redford plays an ageing bank robber who falls in love but can’t quite escape his actual true love...robbing banks. A gentle drama/comedy, it feels like it should have been made in the 1970’s and if it had it would probably be considered a classic now. 

The great thing about this movie is how it goes at its own pace and doesn’t conform to modern film structure. The actors are given time to act, the landscapes are fully utilised, the music is spot on and as Mark Kermode and many reviewers have commented on, you just leave the cinema with a smile on your face. A delight.

Personally speaking, I saw this after a very early shift in work and when the credits rolled, the name Elizabeth Moss came up. I couldn’t even remember seeing her in the film and it took me a couple of days and help from a colleague to discover that I must have fell asleep for a brief scene in the second act. Whilst I don’t consider that to be a criticism of the film, I couldn’t in good conscience place this any higher for a film that I hadn’t seen in full. 


5. Phantom Thread

Any Paul Thomas Anderson film now is seen as a cinematic treat to begin the year and this is no exception although admittedly looking at his work I’ve seen a lot less of it than I imagined which is strange seeing as I love every film I’ve seen of his. 

This is no exception.

Timothee Chalamet may be heralded as the "actor of his generation" but surely Daniel Day Lewis was the actor of ‘his’ generation and like a Robert Redford earlier, Daniel claims that this is his final performance.

A film (movies are movies and films are films, this is a film) concerning dress design does not immediately press my buttons but it is so gorgeously staged and shot that each scene that passes is a masterclass in cinema. Although it sounds like I couldn’t rate this higher, clearly I didn’t seeing as 4 other films rated higher in my list but for many critics, this would be at the pinnacle of their year.


4. Sorry to Bother You (blind viewing)

The 66th and as of writing, final film that I saw this year nearly reached the podium. The films entire existence was unknown to me until very recently when I noticed that it was getting decent US box office takings for a small budgeted film. I then learned that the star was Lakeith Stanfield (Atlanta) so my interest was captured. Those were the only details I knew going in and I was unaware that it would be an ultimate Head Fuck of a movie. It’s also a seriously ‘marmite’ experience where I could entirely imagine that you will either love it or hate it and not much inbetween. The plot will either annoy you and tempt you to leave the cinema or you will want to tell the whole world about it the second you leave the cinema. It’s hard to believe film companies with real life money were persuaded to part with their investments when they were pitched the plot. It’s bonkers but hella inventive and hip as fuck with a great cast that was unbeknownst to me until they appeared. You’ll be hard pressed to find a screening once Mary Poppins comes out this week so it will most likely be on demand viewing but it’s not on demand viewing but I demand viewing as you will not want to miss one of the most original offerings of 2018 and originality goes a long way even if some of it is just too bat shit crazy to stick to the wall (e.g entire third act). The definition of hidden gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment