Monday 24 June 2013

#4 Breaking Bad Habits


I'll admit. I have a problem. When I like certain things whether it be a film, a TV show or a band, I'll try to share my find with others. Sometimes they will agree or sometimes they won't. My biggest victory was forcing 24 (see earlier post) onto my immediate family with resounding success then I shown it to my girlfriend, then the next one then the next one who I finally married.

My wife however is, how can I put his mildly, a bloody stubborn woman. Where many people would see past their own tastes to trust others she will not.

Firstly to watch a film we must eliminate certain possibilities.



"Does it have spiders or zombies?" 

"No Dear"

"Does it have dead dogs?"
"No I don't think Monsters Inc is marketed towards dead dog fans?"
"Does it have Tom Cruise in it because you know I hate Tom Cruise?"
"No"
"Ok let me read the synopsis"



Now some movies may not be able to be put simply into one paragraph so there's another 100 masterpieces dismissed because of Netflix's inability to sell Con Air.


So now we come to the latest Yates media conflict. I have been waiting a while to begin watching Breaking Bad. I had seen the first season a few years ago and whilst I weren't blown away, I have been promised by the Internet and by face to face beings that it has become one of the best things around.

So a few months back I put on the pilot again for the missus (and for me). My biggest mistake was that I didn't persist with the other episodes and now she is insisting that the pilot was boring and dull.

It's worth noting that here are a list of films that she found to be of similar excitement or at the very least alright and you will understand my frustration.

Die hard
Monsters inc (fell asleep)

Fight Club
Donnie Darko
The social network
Kick Ass
Inception
Wall e
Pulp Fiction
Heat


Obviously those reading this may agree with some of these as being overrated or dull but I'd hope that you found most of that list to be a enjoyable watching experience.

My other bit of major stubborn evidence is situated in the world of TV. I did a similar request with Modern Family (hearing great things) so we put it on. The show utilises the format of the characters sometimes talking to camera as if interviewed, which annoyed her majesty no end.

"Is it like this all the way through?"

"I don't know, maybe."
"I don't like it."
And that was the end of Modern Family.....or is it? I continued to watch the show, sometimes on my own, most times with the missus in the room and the strangest thing happened. She scoffed at a joke, then another. I then ONLY watching it in her presence and she quickly began to lose her inhibitions and her inaccurate first impression and we now watch the show on a weekly basis.
So why can't she apply that 'mistake' to breaking bad?
What I desperately need is for her to hear from her friends of the show's quality however I fear most of them are still sharing with anticipation of the prospect of The Big Reunion Season 2 to dabble in Emmy award winning drama.
Am I destined to watch genius television alone?
West Wing - Too political
Sopranos - never get past the synopsis
The Wire - the impossible sell
Breaking Bad - ???


I'm all too aware of the ultimately simple answer to this question. Different people like different things. But all I say to that is YEAH BUT THIS THING IS GOOOOD! Yes I found your romantic comedy which always ends in a social and public display of affection truly riveting. Yes I accept that so many dramatic deaths and accidents can happen in a fictional suburb of Chester. And Yes I enjoyed the episodic adventures of 6 young manhattan friends the first 74 times I saw it. But hey, here's an idea, lets watch something that's new.

***UPDATE*** We have since started BB and are currently 3 episodes in of a 4 episode commitment by the missus. Hopefully the agreement will be extended. 11/07/13

Adam Yates

No comments:

Post a Comment