Monday 24 June 2013

#6 Xbox One Vs Ps4 - First World Problems


This Christmas, geeks and nerds will descend on HMV and Game to make an important monumental decision......what console should I buy FIRST?
For some of us however we will have to make a choice between the two. The gaming console or the entertainment console? Maybe you couldn't give less of a toss and if so stop reading and go outside to play. Us geeks do our playing inside where we can control the weather.
My console history is as follows -
Mega Drive - PSone - PS2 - XBOX360 - PS3 - ???
So obviously a loyalty of sorts to Sony but at the time it was based on what console my friends on my street had. Now that friends are everywhere I no longer have to abide by that condition, plus the fact that I don't have many friends, which is probably why I'm writing a blog in the first place but hey ho.
The interesting thing about my playing habit is that overall I'm not that good at them. I get creamed on Fifa and vow to not buy it the following year which fails repeatedly due to peer pressure. My COD skills are adequate but not as good as the Egyptian kid online who runs around the entire map with just a knife slicing bitches up and running in the bushes. Plus with babies, work and housework (ha ok just the first two) I don't get much time to play regardless.

 
Which leads me to question if I really need a new console which is obviously and stubbornly yes because it's new. The primary use currently of my PS3 is to play TV shows off a USB and to stream stuff from Netflix. The new consoles will of course offer exactly the same service. Then there's games. There are tons and tons of games I've never purchased that I've considered in the past (batman, assassins creed, uncharted, halo, gears of war). When the next-gens come out, surely all the old-gens will drop in price and I could then become a nostalgic expert gamer and beat kids who can't afford the new machines.
So assuming that I cave, which one?
Well a strong online community and service is a strong selling point to me and Sony can't offer that currently so why should i believe them this time? I don't know if its just me but their online store, PS Plus and various other sites look dreadfully amateur. Plus who knows when it's gonna get hacked for days on end.
Xbox on the other hand have online as their middle name, so much in face that they want (force) you to have it as a requirement at least once a day to play games. This isn't a problem for me to adhere to but others are simply put off by this on principle and I was kinda looking forward to competing against them.
Then there are the extras such as apps and kinect and the like. Xbox is so much more than a games console which pleases me as well as kinect as standard which I've never played before. And the Playstation has never fully got to grips with that technology and the PS4 camera looks dated already.
Price wise there's been a lot of moaning about XBoxOne's higher price tag but that does come with Kinect which evens it out somewhat. And who knows if the price will move about in places like Asda (buy £50 worth of food, get a Xbox) and Amazon. So price is the least of my worries. Then again if we all agreed to wait a year, prices would fall faster than the Euro. Besides I should really wait a year for what will surely be a slimmer version with less kinks and shiz.
So basically what was meant to be a blog post that may answer my own question has failed to deliver. What do you guys think? Literally man's first world problem. Besides once we get our next-gens, we can send our old machines to Africa. They don't need always-on connections in that part of the world.
***UPDATE*** Obviously Microsoft has backtracked on a few of their policies however speaking to many of my friends it seems that they are nearly all siding with PS4 so that looks like my decision made.
Also I have took a increased interest in gaming and have completed Batman Arkham Asylum on easy and am currently  Needing for Speeding. 11/07/13
Adam Yates

No comments:

Post a Comment